Obesity in NYC
The city of New York is generally considered one of the leanest cities in the USA.
Let us examine if the city of New York is truly lean or does it have its share of the epidemic of obesity. What do the statistics on Obesity in NYC speak?
Statistics of obesity in the city of New York?
- According to the statistics from the city of New York, obesity is epidemic in NYC also as more than half of adult New Yorkers are overweight (34%) or obese (22%). So, combined together, about 56% of all New Yorkers are overweight or obese.
- Compared to the national average of over 65% of the adults in USA being overweight or obese, the city of New York does appear a bit leaner!
- However, the data might be scewed a bit due to the fact that the borough of Manhattan has a higher proportion of the lean people compared to some of the other boroughs such as Bronx, which has the worst obesity rates, Brooklyn, Queens or Staten Island.
Obesity in Children in New York City
- About half of all elementary school children and Head Start children are not a healthy weight.
- In New York City, 1 in 5 kindergarten students, and 1 in 4 Head Start children, is obese.
10 things to do lose weight fast in NYC
Weight loss NYC step 1
Before trying to lose weight in NYC, the first thing to do would be to understand what you are starting in terms of your body mass index and your weight distribution. So, how do you measure a persons body mass index, popularly known as BMI.
What is BMI?
Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to adult men and women.
- Underweight = <18.5
- Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
- Overweight = 25–29.9
- Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater
Let us say, you know you are a bit overweight or obese in New York City, then what do you do? Where do you start to lose weight in the big apple? Does the distribution of weight matter?
Weight loss NYC step 2
So, once you know you are overweight or obese, and need to lose some weight. How do you know your health risk related to weight? Are all people with the same BMI at the same health risk? What if I have a lot of muscle mass?
The second thing to do after BMI to determine your health risk is to actually look at your distribution of weight using a simple measure called weight circumference.
Why is it important to know your waist circumference?
Since waist circumference indicates the health risks that come with overweight and obesity, it is important to know waist circumference.
What are the risks of being obese in the middle part of the body?
If most of your body fat is around your waist rather than at your hips, you’re at a higher risk for heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
What is the the waist circumference above which the health risk goes up?
This risk goes up with a waist size that is greater than 35 inches for women or greater than 40 inches for men.
What is the best way to measure your waist circumference?
To correctly measure your waist, stand and place a tape measure around your middle, just above your hipbones. Measure your waist just after you breathe out.
What are the limits for waist circumference in Asians?
Weight loss NYC step 3
OK, you know you are overweight or obese by the BMI scale, and you know you do have some excess weight in the tummy, and understand that you need to lose some weight in New York City, where do you start to lose weight?
Weight loss NYC step 4
Well, the oversimplified Government approach is and has always been that it is as simple as calories in and calories out. What really translates to is that if you are gaining weight, it is really your fault and that you need to smarten up, eat less and exercise more. The question, however, is that most people actually know this oversimplified approach of “calories in, and calories out” while the problem of obesity continues to be a bigger and bigger problem around the world.
So, how do you understand the true causes of weight gain in NYC?
Is there something more to the weight gain than the “blame the victim for obesity” attitude?
- Could there be something that explains your weight gain, distribution of the weight in the upper part of the body such as the belly, that also explains the eating habits?
- What if there is a metabolic reason that explains the weight gain, eating habits, and the distribution of the weight in the upper part of the body?
- What if that problem is called insulin resistance?
Weight loss NYC step 5
How do I know if I am insulin resistant? Is there a simple online tool to help me understand my risk of insulin resistance? Introducing the free online insulin resistance calculator from W8MD medical weight loss centers of America.
Weight loss NYC step 6
So, you checked your BMI, your distribution and some of the potential causes of weight gain including insulin resistance including the free online insulin resistance calculator, what do you do next to lose weight?
- How do you find the best weight loss program in NYC that is right for you?
- How you do your curb your food cravings, reduce hunger and lose weight?
Weight loss NYC step 7
Understand how to burn fat, and not burn carbs which is what the body normal burns. So, to understand how to lose weight by losing the fat, and not lose much muscle, you first need to understand the three body fuels – the carbs, fat and protein.
- When does the body burn fat?
- What is the process of body burning fat preferentially called?
- How you do you go in to ketosis?
Weight loss NYC step 8
- Does insurance cover the cost of my weight loss physician visits?
- Where do I find an evidence based physician weight loss program in NYC that accepts my insurance?
- What are the clinically proven measures to lose weight?
- Is it better to do low fat or low carb?
- Which is the best weight loss diet for fast weight loss?
Weight loss NYC step 9
- What about the weight loss diet pills?
- Are they right for me?
- Which is the best weight loss diet pill?
- Which is the safest weight loss diet pill for fast weight loss results?
Weight loss NYC step 10
- How can W8MD’s NYC medical weight loss centers of America help me lose weight?
- What are the locations for losing weight fast in NYC, long Island, NJ, Philadelphia or other places?
- What do people say about the popular W8MD medical weight loss program in Brooklyn?
Free weight loss tips for fast weight loss in NYC
- Understand losing weight takes time, do not rush it
- The best pace of losing weight is losing about 2-4 pounds a week under careful medical supervision or 1-2 lbs if you are trying to do it on your own.
- Portions matter so pay attention to the portion sizes before you eat
- Look on the glycemic index of foods as higher the glycemic index, higher the insulin response, and higher the insulin response, higher the chances of sugar rush, and crash leading to overeating due to insulin fluctuations!
Does eating from plate better than eating from a box?
Yes. It helps reduce the chances of overeating, and it applies to drinking from a glass to instead of drinking from the bottle
How about eating in front of a screen?
Studies have shown that sitting and eating in front a TV leads to overeating so do not eat in front of a TV
How about the soft drinks or fruit juices? Should you stay away from these?
Yes, it is a good idea to stay away from sugary drinks as these are empty calories, without any nutritional value. For example, one 20-ounce sugary drink has about 250 empty calories.
How much water should I drink?
Drink at least 8 glasses of water per day.
How about eating out?
Studies have shown that we consume about 40 percent more food while eating out compared to eating at home, so it is important to prepare more meals at home.
What are net carbs?
Check the labels with a special focus on net carbs. Net carbs is total carbohydrates in grams minus fiber carbs. If you are tying to lose weight under medical supervision, you may want to consider the ketogenic carbohydrate restriction of about 20-30 grams of net carbs per day depending on your body size, health conditions and what the weight loss doctor recommended.
Poly-Tech Sleep & W8MD’s King Of Prussia Weight Loss Center
987 Old Eagle School Rd, Ste 712, Wayne, PA, 19087 (King of Prussia)
Our farthest patient for help losing weight comes from Delaware! Testimonials
2003, Bath Avenue, Brooklyn, NY, 11214.
Our farthest weight loss patient comes from Dallas, Texas! Testimonials
W8MD Weight Loss Program in Long Island, NY
We are pleased to announce that the popular W8MD’s Weight Loss Centers of America’s physician weight loss program is now available at Dr. Rahman’s W8MD Weight Loss Center, West Hempstead